Ever thought of what you are going to do with your prized collection of plates that have been lying inside your cupboard for ages? You know very well that you are never going to use them but at the same time it is unfortunate that they are wasting away in your cupboards out of everyone’s sight. Well, it is time now to bring out your prized collection of plates and incorporate them into your home decor. You will be amazed how your plates can change the entire look of your room. The good news is that you don’t have to be an art collector to have your walls adorned by these plates. The plates that you already have will do the trick and in no time you will have your friends and your guests admiring your beautiful walls.
Here are some tips to help you through the process:
1. Using a plate hanger or a holder
Using plate hangers is an inexpensive option to hang your precious plates on your walls. These are most cost-effective when you are planning to display a large collection. Your plates will be held by springs to the hanger. If you want to display only a few plates, using multiple plate holder will be the right option.
2. Color of the walls
Your walls will serve as the background to your display, so you need to be quite efficient in choosing the right wall for the right plates. If you have a papered wall, don’t display plates with intricate designs on them. Also, choosing a plain-looking plate to be displayed on a plain-looking wall isn’t a good idea. Always keep in mind that the wall should compliment your display of plates and not overshadow it. You can even consider giving a fresh coat of paint to your walls before you start with the decoration of your plates.
3. Mounting the wall plates
Mounting a plate will definitely depend on the weight and size of it. While you can use an aluminum hanger for smaller plates, for a heavier one you will need a wrought iron hanger. You can find the hangers at hardware, departmental or antique stores.
4. Lighting the room
Usually plates have a reflective surface. If you mount them on a wall in a room which is exposed to a considerable amount of light, reflection of light from the plates will make it difficult to look at them. To avoid glare you should display your plates in a room which has a soft and even glow. Using ‘overhead light’ is a good option because the light is reflected off the ceiling before it hits the eye of the viewer.
Some tips to get you started
1. Before you start putting up your plates on the wall, lay them down on a table to decide on the arrangement for the wall. Also, measure the total wall space available and choose your arrangement accordingly.
2. Experiment with different patterns in which you can display your plates. Try the diamond, horizontal, rectangular patterns or better, create your own pattern. Experiment with colors and shades also.
3. You can use your plates to create a unique look by placing them in an elliptical fashion around a picture.
4. Use those spaces to hang your plates where hanging a picture won’t have the maximum effect. Try spaces like archways and space above your windows.
5. If your plates are fragile, you can use ‘Museum wax’ to fix them to your shelves.