DIY bed canopy for Valentine ’s Day
Feb 10 2012
Valentine’s day calls for a romantic affair and you can do something for your sweetheart right in the comfort of your home. A good idea is to make a bed canopy that will take your companion into a fantasy filled trance. A simple guide to make the canopy on your own is given below. This small addition will go to show that you are head over heels in love with your darling.
Difficulty level: Easy
Time required: 1 to 3 hours
- Sewing machine
- Dowel rods
- Metal rings
- Measure the height from which you want to hook the canopy. Cut out the fabric in the required dimensions.
- Hem about two inches of the fabric along the border. You can attach a lace, frill or ribbon along the edges.
- Stitch pockets at points that will be clipped to the dowel. Fasten metal rings on the cloth that will be inserted into the dowel.
- Fix hooks on the wall at the point from where you want to sling the canopy. You can also attach a circular or rectangular frame on top of the bed to suspend the canopy. You will need a drill and screw to affix the frame in place.
- Now, just attach the canopy at the points required and let the loose ends drape the edges of your bed.
- Pick a dreamy fabric that will leave your partner floored. Satin and silk are quite passionate while flimsy pieces help to create a starry-eyed feel. A see through net or diaphanous muslin will also do the trick.
- Velvet is for a lush look and to bring out the grandeur, suspend it from an ornate and gilded frame.
- To show how madly in love you are, pick a textile in the pretty Valentine’s day colors of pink or red. A demure white will create a dreamy touch.