Home office furniture immediately brings to our mind a compact and space-saving workstation that is comfortable, cost-effective and extremely functional. You can make your limited home office look extremely stylish with some great designs, furniture and accessories. A lot of homework goes into deciding what all should go into your home office to make it an extension of your personality and look extremely professional.
Home office furniture is usually casual and softer in appearance so that it blends well with other furniture around the house and does not look starkly different. Functionality is perhaps the biggest feature of home office furniture, but it should definitely not be done at the expense of aesthetics. You must also keep the limited office space into consideration before buying the furniture. Bulky furniture might just leave you feeling claustrophobic and your clients might not get a good impression of you with the cluttered presentation of your office. There are a lot of things to look into while buying home furniture, so here are a few guidelines that might make your job easier!
What is right for me
Finding the right kind of furniture for your new office can be a daunting task as there are so many different brands and styles that are available both in stores and online too. You could perhaps chalk out a few details that include the size of your office, type of interior decor of the house, the kind of style that you want, the function of your office, budget and so on. Start by searching the Internet for furniture pieces that might suit your requirements. You can get the latest trendy furniture and great deals as well online. There are many niche furniture shops online which cater to millions of customers. Sift through the websites and zero down on the furniture pieces that take to your fancy, as there are infinite choices on the Internet ranging from the opulent to the cost-effective bargains.
The most important home office furniture is undoubtedly the desk. When choosing the right desk, try to keep into account its functionality. If you have kids around the house, then choose one which does not have sharp edges. If you have limited space, then select one that can double up into something else and be a multipurpose table.
To complete your table, you would need a comfortable office chair. This kind of purchase is a little tricky online as you need to physically test it for comfort before purchasing it. Mesh chairs are very stylish and popular these days as compared to the classic leather office chair. Find one that is adjustable, so that it can be used by other family members too. It is difficult to make the right choice for office furniture, however, if you have your requirements outlined then making a decision would not take a lot of time.
What are the choices
1. L.O.F.T. Home Workstation
The L.O.F.T Home Workstation has been designed by Maciek Wojcick which is simplistic in outlook, but it is extremely functional and serves the purpose of an office workstation. The design of the workstation is such that it can be adjusted according to your needs and the lighting too can be adjusted accordingly. The LOFT Home Workstation can be assembled and disassembled quite easily by the buyer without any assistance.
2. Mobile Glass Workstation
The Mobile Glass Workstation has been designed by Gallotti & Radice, and is perhaps the most stylish workstations of all due to its minimalistic and modern appeal. This workstation has also been named as “Movie Office” as it comprises of a glass desk, two separate units and a pull-out shelf. The various parts of this workstations can be separated into single units which are movable too.
3. Seymour Home Office Armoire
The Seymour Home Office Armoire is an exquisite home office furniture that is highly functional as it is more than just a workstation. It is designed in a way that it provides adequate storage space along with many compartments that can cater to your home-office requirements such as a hidden keyboard tray and an internal wire management system for accessing the Internet.
4. K workstation
The K Workstation is another futuristic design that is high on style with a minimalistic design. The workstation is neat and clean in outlook, however, it is high on functionality. The K workstations is made out of plywood that is laminated with bamboo that gives it a soothing and natural look. The curved design creates space for shelves which looks very elegant.
5. Laptop Tower
The Laptop Tower is a brilliant home office workstation that saves on space and is high in functionality. This compact workstation looks very elegant with its paint and veneer finishing, which can be customized according to customer preference.
You can visit Hometone’s extensive shopping guide on designer Home Office furniture (by clicking on it) to know about more interesting products with comprehensive analysis.
1. The John Lewis Penelope Task Lamp.
Lamps are an absolute requirement of office desks and the John Lewis Penelope Task lamp is a very simple and classic design that has a stem made out of chrome curved metal with the metal shade attached to the base. This lamp can be bought for £40.
2. Metro Filing Cabinet
The Metro Filing Cabinet is another great accessory that can complete the look and functional aspect of the home office. This practical cabinet is available in chrome, black and white pulls. It has three drawers in all with the bottom drawer designed for hanging files. This cabinet can be bought for 250$.
3. Monitor Mounts
The huge LCDs today come with wobbly fixed height stands that leave the users trying to get a clear view of the TV. The Monitor mount will not only be connected sturdily to your desk, but it can also be elevated to the height and angle that you require, whilst leaving adequate desk space at the bottom. Steelcase’s clever monitor arm is a perfect choice for your home office.
4. All-in-One PCs
PCs are perhaps not very aesthetic in home office in terms of the hardware and wiring that come along with it. However, you can replace it with Apples iMac which is an all-in-one computer with an unparalleled sleek design. With all the applications and latest software in place, this PC is definitely what you need in your office if you spend your work hours on MS Work or MS Excel!
1. Make sure that your office decor matches your home decor and does not look starkly different.
2. If your home is small, then try to buy office furniture that is multifunctional and serves more than one purpose.
3. Try to search for deals on the Internet if your budget is small, as you can find great steals online.
4. Jot down your requirements of home office furniture on a piece of paper so that you are clear about what exactly you want to purchase.
5. Before heading to any furniture shops, try to search online for the furniture that you are looking for and gain an idea in terms of price, reviews, deals etc.
6. Never over-estimate the home office space that you have. Always carry the specific furniture dimensions that you require in order to avoid cluttering.
7. Buy furniture that has the manufacturer’s warranty.
8. Do not buy office chairs online, as comfort has to be measured by physically analyzing the chair.
9. Buy office furniture that can serve other family members as well.
10. The furniture must be functional, but not at the cost of appearance.
Questions to ask before buying
1. Is the furniture functional and has the capacity to serve more than one function?
2. Is the office furniture looking like an extension of the home rather than a stark contrast to the home decor?
3. Is the furniture adjustable or suitable for other family members in the house?
4. Can the dimensions of the furniture be easily accommodated in the limited office space without giving a cluttered look?
5. Is the office furniture comfortable and at the same time appealing to both myself and the clients who would be visiting me?
6. Is the furniture durable and optimum from the ergonomics point of view?