Making filters at home might sound a tricky task but surely isn’t if you follow the instructions carefully and work in a stepwise manner. making and maintaining aquarium need filters that play the major role in removing both physical and chemical waste from the aquarium. Aquarium filter cleans the water by removing fish waste and the food residue and other waste material. The aquarium filters available in the market are expensive and depends on electricity but the homemade filters are affordable, easy to make and electricity is not required in them. Homemade filters work on air displacement method. They can be used with or without air pumps. Air pumps are attached when high flow is needed and without air pumps these homemade filters can clean 40 gallons of water in an aquarium. This can be used for fresh water or salt water aquarium.
Difficulty Level: Easy
Time required: 5-6 hours
Estimated cost: $ 20(approx)
2. Empty plastic bottle or pop bottle of 2-liter
4. Air stone
5. Ice cream container or any other rectangular container of plastic.
6. Air pump (optional)
7. Hobby knife of 7/8” or scissors
1. Take the pop bottle of 2 liter and cut it into half with the help of the knife or scissors. Discard the lower half and cap of the bottle. Along the cut edge of the bottle on the upper half cut V shapes.
2. Now take the ice cream container and place the cut end of the pop bottle into it. Then lead the air line from pop bottle to ice cream container and from the air line in the pop bottle attach the air stone.
3. In order to safe guard the pop bottle and air line, you need to surround it with gravel. Fill the gravel till top in ice cream container.
4. Adjust this into an aquarium in such a manner that the free end of the air line is outside the water.
5. The filter starts working as the air bubbles start rising out of the air line and the water in aquarium filters out through the gravel capturing the impurities. The air displacement gives power to the filter.
6. You need to clean the filter when water becomes dirty and the functioning of the filer is reduced. In order to clean the filter, you need to disassemble it. After disassembling proper cleaning of each part is required. The clean parts are reassembled again and fixed in an aquarium.
1. The frequency to change the water is reduced by using the filters in an aquarium.
2. Gravel sucks out the water and filter it in an aquarium.
3. For high flow of water in an aquarium, an Air pump is a must.
4. Free end of the air line should always be out of the water. It should never get submerged.
5. Other filtering material can be added to gravel like sponge, carbon etc.
6. Filtration units of different sizes can be made by using plastic bottles of different size.