A leaky sink is quite a bother and should be repaired as soon as possible. The water oozing out could cause damage around the house. If the dripping water begins to collect, then it can give rise to a foul smell. However, many times the problem is caused by a minor snag, which can be easily fixed by anyone. A simple guide to fix a leaky sink on your own is given below.
Difficulty level: Easy
Time required: 15 minutes to 1 hour
1. First of all, locate the source of the leak with the help of a flashlight.
2. Usually, the leak is due to a loose faucet or water dribbling around the border of the sink. Both of these can be fixed easily.
3. There is a pipe under every sink with a bolt attached. Just turn this bolt around to tighten it. You can tighten it with either your hands or a wrench.
4. Sometimes the O ring is very old. Just replace it with a new one that fits in the sink adequately.
5. If water seeps out along the border of the bowl, then you should detach the sink bowl completely and clean it with a rag dipped in mineral spirits.
Things to watch out for
Turn off the water supply before you start to repair the sink. Working in a pool of water could cause accidents, especially if the water comes into contact with an electric connection.